Thursday, December 18, 2014

Creating a Culture of Honor

Creating A Culture of Honor

Journal Thursday, December 18, 2014



Scripture
Luke 13:6-9New King James Version (NKJV)
The Parable of the Barren Fig Tree
6 He also spoke this parable: “A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none. 7 Then he said to the keeper of his vineyard, ‘Look, for three years I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree and find none. Cut it down; why does it use up the ground?’ 8 But he answered and said to him, ‘Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and fertilize it. 9 And if it bears fruit, well. But if not, after that[a] you can cut it down.’

Observation
This tree represents the people of Israel who had been planted in a fertile vineyard. God cared for them for a long time but they bore not fruit. The keeper is Jesus who intercedes for the people of God. he interceded for more time so God’s people could bear fruit, giving them more fertilizer by planting Israel in the church. If they would respond to the care of the gardner and bear fruit they would receive the blessing of salvation. 

Application
God calls His people to respond to Him and bear fruit. It is not enough for us to be forgiven but to change our hearts and bear fruit for our Father. The fruit I am thinking about today is the fruit of honor. We think too much in terms of right and wrong. We ask “Is it ok for me to …?” The more important question is, “How can I honor my savior and my God?” The  honor question is a much deeper question. The former is about what I can get away with, or what is the least expected of me. This is part of the reason why Israel did not bear fruit. They were more concerned with expectations then with honor. They had long discussions of expectations, but could not honor the savior who was sent to heal them. 

The question I have today is, “How can I honor God”, and “how can I honor His people?”  How do we create a culture of honor?

Prayer

Lord - Help me to create an culture of honor, first in my heart, then in my relationships. Let my first concern be about honoring you and giving honor to whom honor is due. Create a culture of honor in my family and a culture of honor in our church. In Jesus Name! 

No comments:

Post a Comment